Buddleia Visitor: pastel 8x8 inches
I have spent a few days exploring how to get more texture into my pastels and bring them away from the clean,clear-cut look that they tend to acquire on pastelMat. There's nothing wrong with PastelMat....I have a whole pack of new sheets just in....but I need this change of direction for some work. This butterfly picture of a Peacock grazing on buddleia was done on a sheet of previously-worked PastelMat, which was brushed off and then coated briskly with Art Spectrum Colorfix clear primer. I used a bristle brush to do this and just stroked the medium over the surface in a fairly random manner. Some of the brush strokes eventually became integrated with the picture.
Working pastel on top was quite a different experience. It was near-impossible to blend with a finger. Quite a lot of pastel-dust went into the grooves of the texture and quite a bit dropped off....but a good spraying with fixative sorted this out, to provide base colours. The buddleia flowers were worked in the same way as I always do, but the results were more subtle. The textured surface broke up the passage of the pastel and occasionally created surprises. The central section where the butterfly is was deliberately textured more carefully, since the insect has a fair amount of detail.
Having completed most of the picture I put it aside for a few days because I couldn't decide whether it was finished or not. Eventually I added a little more mid blue-green to the central region behind the butterfly and called it done. More subtle, dustier, even a slightly faded look. Certainly the rougher texture eats pastel, but at this moderately small size that isn't too much of a problem.
I have another similar-sized piece now finished and may post that next time. My Uart paper samples have arrived and I'll be exploring a couple of those shortly.
This butterfly painting is retained for exhibition in December and won't be going on DailyPaintWorks as an auction item....at least, not just yet.