Interlude...for a day or so
Several new oil paintings have been started during the past couple of weeks but not yet progressed fully to a finished state. Also I am wrestling with a flower-and-vase pastel, attempting to develop the hatched lines underpainting-style that I tried out with a previous piece Pewter Mug and Daisies. In addition, it's raining so I can't take my work outside to photograph. Another floral pastel has headed westward to the USA and I hope the buyer will be pleased with it. Despite the extraordinary hot weather this summer and the lack of rain, I do actually have some decent flowers of my own in their garden tubs; several took part in the previous post Rudbeckias; and I'm looking around to make something of the zinnias which are still producing plenty of new buds.
Framing very small paintings (like 5x4 inches and smaller) has always been a challenge; and ready-made ones are not easy to find (or cheap). Although there are some suppliers on places like Ebay, the sizes are never quite right and the frames are always too chunky for a tiny-format painting. So this year I decided to get on and make my own. They are either for oils or acrylics on board or panel. Nothing requiring glass. I don't do "mini" pastels and rarely use watercolour these days (I used to, for ACEO cards but now I prefer oil or acrylic). Maybe I'll put together a post on what I produced this year and how.